Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Quotes that stayed in my mind.

Critic as an Artist: Oscar Wilde:

Reread it. Found it hard to interpret yet again.

One friend quotes this in his signature:

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to
time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
-- Oscar Wilde, "The Critic as Artist"


A review said:

This major work is particularly interesting in the context of late 20th century poetics. Like several of the younger American and British innovative poets and theorists, Wilde argues, through his character Gilbert, for the equal importance of the critical faculty with artistic creation, that, in short, the artist must be both critic and creator if (s)he is to produce great art and that the art of the critic should be as fine a creative work as that of any poet or novelist.

Against the romantic notion of the artist creating from a vast unconscious storehouse of emotions and ideas, Gilbert posits that “All fine imaginative work is self-conscious and deliberate. No poet sings because he must. At least, no great poet does. A great poet sings because he chooses to sing...There is no fine art without self-conciousness, and self-consciousness and the critical spirit are one.”

Published originally in 1888, The Critic As Artist is almost as timely today as if it were composed in 1988.

Comments: What can I say! Salute....


Conrad Hilton:

Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.

Comments: Interesting! Keep moving! change is the base of american economy.

Pride and Prejudice: I think this will be my weekend movie for many years to come :)

Mr. Darcy: Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you... I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgment, my family's expectations, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony.
Elizabeth Bennet: I don't understand.
Mr. Darcy: I love you.

Mr. Darcy: You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love... I love... I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.

Comments: Bewitched??? true love??
Me: I don't understand but hope to understand someday ;)

2 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Blogger Nryn said...

hey updated my blog...comment di

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Shree said...

nice comment!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home